Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sport and Leisure


Who would have ever imagined a small town on the Somerset coast would become a place where budding Olympians are produced?

Well that's exactly what's happening at Burnham-On-Sea.

Home to Olympic BMX racer Liam Phillips, Burnham BMX club is hoping other members of its young crop will go on to repeat his success.

Fifteen-year-old Curtis Manaton is set to follow in Liam's footsteps as he going to the Olympic Development Team trials in Manchester, which will mean if he's selected, he will have access to the sport's top coaches as he prepares for London 2012.

"Every day when I'm training I think I really want it, I really want to become a full-time athlete, become an Olympian and hopefully pick up a medal," said Curtis who started riding when he was four years old.

"Liam is a great inspiration to me. I just want to do what he did and get a medal. I've been good mates with him for a while now and he really helps me with my training."

Chris Hoy

Liam has just started training again as he dislocated his shoulder at the worst possible time - during his race at the Beijing Olympics.

"It was disappointing having an injury and not being able to ride for four months but it's part and parcel of BMX racing unfortunately," said Liam.

"I don't have any regrets and I think that's important looking back now on Beijing and looking forward to London more importantly."

And it's London which Liam has his sights firmly set on.

"Every day is just another work day and another training session under the belt ready for that 30 seconds which takes place at the Olympics."

And what does Liam think of the influx of riders coming from his home town?

"I've grown up in Burnham so seeing someone who just goes down to the local BMX track, week in, week out, since they were five years old, and all of a sudden go to the Olympics - people can relate to that.

"It's such an easy access to any form of cycling. Going back to the likes of Chris Hoy - everyone started with BMX as Chis Hoy was a BMX racer - and it seems like an entry level for a majority of people in sport so I think it's great to see kids - even now when it's probably two degrees out here, wrapped up warm just enjoying exercise."

No comments:

Post a Comment